RPG a Day: Day 11


Question 11: Which 'dead game' would you like to see reborn?

Of course, 'dead game' is in quotations, as that is not dead which can eternal lie. No game is dead as long as the books exist in some form and someone somewhere decides to play it. I guess what the question is aiming at is which unsupported lines, or OOP games would I like to see getting the love! The thing is, in this golden age of RPGs, many of these games have been brought back. I mean, you don't have to look far to get new editions of Paranoia, or Chill, for example.

M.E.R.P.

Yes, I know that since the demise of this super crunchy and of it's time Lord of the Rings game, there have been many other games that allow you to play in Middle Earth, but the death of MERP by Iron Crown Enterprises is one that still gets to me. Indeed, even though ICE has lost the license to write products for Middle earth, it seems I am not alone in this, as ICE still has a page to field questions about the game, so even this is not a completely 'dead game'.


For me, it was not just about Middle Earth, it was a conjunction of the world building through the connecting maps of the series, the Angus McBride artwork on the covers, the system, ok, that was of its time, but it was relatively simple. The books and adventure were affordable, and they introduced me to a concept that I strive for in my games even now, balance.

Yeah, if ever I would wish for a game to be brought back from the 'dead' it'd be MERP.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Warren

"They Grow up so Fast" Handout